Fafda Jalebi Recipe – With Papaya Salad
Fafda and Jalebi Recipe (Gujarati Style)
Fafda Jalebi and Papaya Chutney are identity of Gujarat and Gujarati when it comes to food. Sunday morning in Gujarat without fafda, chutney and jalebi un-imaginable. It is like a Diwali without diya (Candle Lights) Although fafda is a popular food item usually people don’t bother making it at home. Here I have very simple Fafda Jalebi recipe which is easy to follow and make at home.
Ingredients for Fafda Recipe
1 1/2 cup gram flour ( chickpea flour )
1 tbsp ajwain ( carom seeds ) you can use less if you want
1 tbsp crushed black pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper powder ( again choice is yours if you want to use less you can )
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup oil + for deep fry
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Water – as required
Ingredients for Jalebi Recipe
2 cups All purpose flour (maida)
2 tbsp curd (plain yogurt)
11/2 tbsp fine grained semolina or rice flour
1/4th tsp baking powder
3 cups sugar
11/4th cups warm water
1/2 tsp saffron threads, slowly dry-roasted and powdered
22/3rd cups water
1/2 tsp green cardamom seeds powder
11/2 tbsp kewra water or rose water
Ghee or vegetable oil for frying
Ingredients for Papaya Salad (Sahbharo)
1 small raw pappaya grated
7-8 green chillies
1 carrot peeled and grated
1/4 cup white cabbage grated
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
Method – Fafda
- In a big bowl place oil, salt, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, crushed black pepper and ajwain seeds and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well.
- Add gram flour and make a soft dough just like chapatti dough.
- Knead the dough at least 5-6 minutes and add 1 tsp oil once again and knead the dough once more.
- Leave it aside for 15-20 minutes covering with the clean napkin or clingfilm.
- When you are ready to make fafda knead dough once again, devide dough into 20-25 small balls.
- Give them oval shape.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Take flat surface like choping board but not very smooth ( I used plastic chopping board, which wasn’t a smooth, it helps when you remove the fafda from the board )
- Take oval dough ball, with your palm press the dough and increase the length of ball with hands and keep it on the board under your palm.
- Press it with the palms and it in front direction. Roll out the thin layer of the fafda.
- Fry he fafda in heated oil till they turn into light brown colour.
Method – Jalebi & Syrup
- Mix the flour, semolina or rice flour, baking powder, curd and 3/4th cup of the water in a bowl (preferably a ceramic bowl). Mix well with a whisk.
- Mix well and then add remaining water and 1/8th tsp. of saffron powder, and whisk until smooth.
- Set aside for about 2 hours to ferment.
- Whisk thoroughly before use.
- Prepare one string syrup by dissolving sugar in the water. Just before the syrup is ready add saffron and cardamom powder.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Pour the batter in a steady stream ( or coconut shell with a hole) into the kadhai to form coils. Make a few at a time.
- Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not brown.
- Remove from the kadhai and drain on kitchen paper and immerse in the syrup.
- Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup.
- Take the jalebi out of syrup and serve hot.
Method – Papaya Salad (Sanbharo)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add mustard seeds, when splutter add Fenugreek seeds.
- Now add green chillies and fry for a minute and add papaya, cabbage and carrots.
- Mix well and add turmeric powder and season with salt.
- Fry the mixture on a high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice.
Make Papaya salad in advance couple of hours early and put in to Refrigerator.
Serve Papaya salad child
You can make Mint and Yougert Chutney and Serve with this Fafda and Jalebi Dish with Papaya Salad